Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Fortified ~

On August 2nd, Rhockaby is feeling : Fortified~

After three long years of abandoning Taegeuks and stances, I'm finally gonna get back into the kicking business. Yes. It's high time a pay my tribute tho those long six years of training and instructing and rejoin the glorious world of ki-ups, bows and kicks so fast it'll take you 5 minutes to comprehend what just happened; the glorious world that is Taekwondo.

So this guy David (Tekken pro, has a Shinan 'Steve Fox') hands me a flyer during lunch break yesterday.

"Taekwondo?"

"Uh... yea... sure..."

Back in foundation when I first arrived in Melbourne, I seeked out this very same club. Why? Cause back then I LOVED Taeky. A lot! William and I went for a trial session. I was, ultimately, disappointed. Training
was nothing like what I use to do back home. It wasn't bad. It was just, well ... different. New warm-ups. New drills. They even called a 'Turning Kick' a 'Roundhouse Kick' damn it! And how come 'Backthrusts'are called 'Spinning Kicks'? Everything was wrong. I never came back.

That is, until yesterday.

"Dave, you a member?"

"Yea! I'm a beginner, but I learn pretty fast!"

Exactly! That's what makes Taeky so fun! Moves are retardedly simple when taught correctly. Imagine the thrill of a new comer when he's able to pull of a 'Jumping Double Front Kick' 30 minutes into the class.

"Encourage you students. Let em have fun and enjoy the lesson", is what Mr.Tan always told me. I wonder, did those kids back at school enjoy my lessons? Lol, guess I'll never know.

"Aha. There it is."

Taekwondo booth in sight. Lol. There's the instructor! And the receptionist, I remember her. She's from Malaysia. Wonder if they'll recognise me. Maybe they'll go "Hey, wasn't this the guy who bailed out on the club 2 and a half years ago?".

Nah ...

"Hi there! Do you guys have a flyer that I could look at?"

Ofcorse, I already had one in my left pocket.

"Yea yea! Here you go! Interested?"

"Yes indeed."

"Done any Taekwondo before?"

"Just a bit back home."

"Good good! You should join!"

"Do I put my name down here?"

"Right there. So, you've done Taekwondo before. What rank are you?"

"Oh. I'm black belt 1st Dan."

"Then you will feel right at home!"

The trial class was, how shall I put it ... nostalgic? Doing Taegeuks, face-to-face pad training, breathing calmly while getting the shit kicked out of you ... oh its gonna be a good semester for kicking.

Second class tomorrow! Hurrah for Zack! Now all I need is a bigger uniform. Wearing one that looks looks like a tank top is quite kicking material. So there. :)

No comments: